GLP-W Resource of the Month: World Environment Day 5th June 2018
- World Environment Day 2018
World Environment Day takes place every year to help people appreciate the environment and take action to protect it; this year’s theme is Plastic Pollution. So why not mark World Environment Day with some of these GLP-W resources, focused particularly on science, geography and sustainability:
- Climate Change Conference (Key Stages 2-5): this newly-updated resource include:
- climate change links
- support to help your pupils prepare for, run and follow up their own school Climate Change Conference; activities support English, geography and numeracy.
- World Oceans Day (Key Stages 2-4): Written to mark World Environment Day (5th June) this newly-updated resource from GLP-W has eight cross-curricular activities investigating ocean sustainability, including twelve things to do on World Oceans Day.
Other resources from GLP-W:
- Sustainable transport to school (Key Stage 2): literacy and numeracy activities focused on investigating journeys to school in Wales and globally, linked to a resource from Sustrans
- Floating gardens challenge (Key Stages 2-4): pupils design and build a model structure so farmers can grow crops in an area of Bangladesh at risk of flooding, linked to a resource from Practical Action
- GLP-W resources focused on energy and sustainability for all Key Stages.
Size of Wales: bilingual resources with a focus on rainforests and climate change https://sizeofwales.org.uk/education/
Wind Power Challenge (KS2 to KS4). Pupils design a wind powered machine that can lift a weight off the floor.
From the Centre for Alternative Technology:
Energy trumps cards (KS3 to post-16). Card game focused on sources of energy and their positives and negatives.
The Green House (KS3 to post-16): Interactive resource about energy in the home.